Tequila Cocktail Recipes: Batman of Mexico (Perfect for Cinco De Mayo)
At The Esquire Tavern, we’re proud to boast some pretty inventive cocktails, created by our own resident Beverage Director, Houston Eaves. From a spin on the Old Fashioned to the innovative Monty Collins, Eaves has served up amazing drinks at The Esquire Tavern for several years now. The most recent addition is the Batman of Mexico, a specialty drink designed for Cinco de Mayo and the upcoming sizzling summer months.
In 2016, we opened our ground-floor bar, Downstairs, and with that came a whole new menu of delicious cocktails. The Batman of Mexico brings out the floral, herbaceous notes of the distinct agave plant. The drink is Eaves’ own subtle appreciation Mexico’s tequila makers who sustain migratory populations of bats that pollinate the agave to supply cocktails around the nation. The drink is not just a neat shout-out to Bruce Wayne, The Batman of Mexico is aptly named after ecologist Dr. Rodrigo Medellin, who is popularly known as the Batman of Mexico due to his foundation of the Bat Friendly Tequila and Mezcal Project. From this rich background came our newest Summer drink, the Batman of Mexico.
The blend of Summer heat is made from the following:
- 2 oz. high-proof blanco tequila, such as Siembra Valles
- ¾ oz fresh corn syrup (recipe below)
- ¾ oz key lime juice
- 2 – 3 dashes Bittermens Hellfire Habanero Shrub
- Combine in an ice-filled shaker and shake well. Strain into a chilled glass rimmed with sal de chapulin (grasshopper salt)
Fresh Corn Syrup recipe:
- 2 lbs. sweet corn
- 2 lbs. sugar
- 32 oz. water
- Simmer all ingredients for about thirty minutes of medium heat, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves.
- Strain syrup into an airtight container and reserve in the refrigerator until ready to use
The slight spice of the Batman of Mexico pairs well with our Tacos con Papas, Chalupitas, and Wildcat Burger – all staples of The Esquire Tavern. Stop by The Esquire Tavern for your next lunch break or happy hour meal to try out our newest Summer fare. Got a large party? Contact us and your table will be ready when you all arrive!