Top 5 Cocktail Recipes from San Antonio’s Best Downtown Bar
When heading downtown for a good time, whether you’re a tourist or a true San Antonian, you clearly have plenty of restaurants, bars, and diners to choose from. You want a place that serves a mean Old Fashioned along with a tasty meal – that also boasts plenty of space for you and your friends. How do you narrow down your options to find the best San Antonio downtown bar?There’s a reason both residents and tourists have flocked to The Esquire Tavern for over 80 years. With the longest wooden bar top in Texas, we have plenty of space for your party to enjoy a great cocktail or two. We have plenty of options, so we’ve narrowed down our drinks to the top 5 cocktails on our menu.
- Commerce Street Fix – We take pride in our streets in San Antonio, so naturally, one of our most popular cocktails is named after the street The Esquire is located on. Shaken with a combo of Blanco tequila, pineapple, lemon, chartreuse, and a bit of spicy Angostura bitters, this cocktail gives you a good kick in the throat. Just like Commerce street, this drink features a bitter taste that’s refreshed with a hint of sweetness.
- Quiet Little Voices – Even if you are not too familiar with San Antonio’s history, chances are, you have heard the ghost stories of The Alamo or one of the San Antonio Missions. This cocktail will have you believing in ghosts (or seeing them) with its mix of cognac, Jamaican rum, Italian vermouth, PX sherry, and chicory pecan bitters. The toasty flavor of the pecan bitters balances the bitterness of the vermouth, which makes this the perfect drink for a cool evening at a San Antonio downtown bar.
- Immigrant Punk – Just like its namesake song, this cocktail blends a mix of sweet fruit with a big punch. Shaken and served on ice, the Immigrant Punk is a blend of cachaça (a spirit made from sugarcane juice), Jamaican rum, passionfruit, don’s mix (a combo of fresh grapefruit and cinnamon syrup), lime, and Peychaud's bitters. This cocktail is popular with those who prefer sweeter drinks over the typical strong cocktail.
- Texecutioner - This tough drink molds a variety of liqueurs to create a strong and spicy cocktail. Served on the rocks, this cocktail contains espadin mezcal, xtabentun, Cocchi Americano, and a hint of grapefruit to bring out the sweetness of the mezcal. If you’re looking for a unique cocktail in a San Antonio downtown bar, The Texecutioner is your pick.
- Monty Collins – Sophisticated and light, just like its namesake actor and screenwriter. You pick from your choice of spirit: vodka, bourbon whiskey, or a select Esquire Tavern rum blend, and we’ll shake in some lemon. Amontillado sherry wine, and mineral water to create a smooth cocktail fit for any event. The Monty Collins is one of our select drinks that is served long, so it’ll last your entire evening.
Our Certified Mixologists Make Our San Antonio Downtown Bar Stand Out
Date nights, celebrations, birthday parties, even work meetings are all occasions to stop by The Esquire Tavern. If one of our top 5 cocktails isn’t your style, we can mix up a classic cocktail for you including a Moscow Mule, Hot Toddy, classic Margarita and more. We also have numerous name-brand and local beers readily available on draft or served up in an ice-cold can or bottle.
Reserve a Table for Best Seating Choices
Contact us to book a table in advance for anywhere from 2 to 10 people. You can always walk in and have a seat at our bar or any of our booths without a reservation. With a 4-star average out of a whopping 1,842 reviews on Yelp, we’d love for you to come in and experience our excellent food and drink firsthand. You won’t find a better San Antonio downtown bar than The Esquire Tavern.