Best Breweries in San Antonio: 2019 Local Guide
Craft beer has exploded into the hobby and nightlife scene in the past five years. With a wide range of breweries opening locally, we’ve put together this handy guide to finding the best breweries in San Antonio.
With craft beer dominating 12.7 percent of the U.S. beer market, San Antonio beer connoisseurs crave locally made beers full of flavor. From IPAs to blondes to dark lagers, the San Antonio brewery scene features local breweries in all parts of the city with a great craft beer to satisfy any palate.
Not just for locals, a range of these San Antonio breweries also host various events and guided tours and provide numerous food options to fit different group sizes.
Check out our local guide to some of the best breweries in San Antonio, featuring local staples and a few smaller breweries new to the craft beer scene.
Best Breweries for IPAs and Blondes in San Antonio
- Weathered Souls Brewing Co. — Weathered Souls Brewing Company just celebrated their second year in business in November 2018. They are located at 606 Embassy Oaks, San Antonio, TX 78216 in building number 500. For a great blonde, try their MALTerial Girl blonde ale. Are you a big fan of hoppy goodness? Sample the Dãle Shine, a traditional Mexican lager with a splash of sweetness. Or, give their West Coast IPA a try, a fruity offering with a bitter aftertaste.
- Mad Pecker Brewing Co. — Nestled in a suburban-like Northwest San Antonio neighborhood at 6025 Tezel Rd #122, San Antonio, TX 78250, Mad Pecker Brewing Company boasts more unique styles of IPAs. Uppermost is a NEIPA on tap year-round with an ABV of 6.4%. Need more alcohol in without the New England style? Try their seasonal Imperial IPA called The Infamous Hopp Deep which has a 9% ABV. If you have never tried a red IPA, Mad Pecker's Red Blazer is a 7.8% red IPA worth tasting. Their seasonal brews pair with their assortment of delectable appetizers and dishes quite well.
Best Breweries for Pale Ales in San Antonio
- Freetail Brewing Co. — Popular not just in San Antonio but also the state of Texas, Freetail Brewing Company has expanded to two locations, featuring a tasting room and an open pub, and hosts numerous local events. Freetail offers a large selection of craft beers, but their standouts include their original Amber Ale, Soul Doubt IPA, and the San Antonio Pale Ale.
- Alamo Beer Company — An original powerhouse in the craft beer industry, Alamo Beer Company is home to various pilsners, lagers, and Belgian-style ales that many San Antonians love. For a perfect original ale, try the Alamo Golden Ale. Care for a citrus-like, aromatic brew? Sample the Alamo German Pale Ale.
- Busted Sandal Brewing Company — Don’t let the sketchy, old Graham Central Station location fool you. Busted Sandal is a dive brewery with plenty of hoppy brews available. Taste their lightly sweet 210 Ale or the citrusy Slippery Rock IPA. Got visitors from out of town? Busted Sandal Brewing Company offers free tours and tastings.
Best Breweries for Stouts and Lagers in San Antonio
- Künstler Brewing — Prefer your beers rich and dark? Künstler Brewing is the Southtown brewery for you. Open since just 2017, Künstler Brewing specializes in German beers rarely made locally. Order a flight of their top-rated beers, including the renowned Oyster Stout and the Mokka Milk Stout. Pair one of their rich stouts with their unique German-inspired menu eats.
- Ranger Creek Brewing & Distilling — Featuring top-rated tours in San Antonio and the hill country, Ranger Creek Brewing & Distilling hosts numerous tours, tastings, and events for locals to meet fellow beer aficionados. Visit Ranger Creek and quench your craft beer thirst with their signature San Antonio lager, a sweet, floral hop. Spice up your typical lager with their San Antonio Hatch Lager. Got friends who aren’t into craft beers? Ranger Creek Brewing & Distilling also features signature bourbon and whiskey mixes.
With the virtually endless opportunities for San Antonio breweries, it can be exhausting planning out which breweries to visit for your tastes. Thankfully, local tour guides such as Craft Cruiser make the planning simple for you and your guests.
Prefer to take your time at each brewery? Check out this handy San Antonio brewery map to expertly map out your personal craft beer tour. From downtown to Southtown and the Hill Country, find the ideal brewery to suit your taste palate.
Whether you’re a San Antonio local or just visiting, you’re bound to find your next favorite craft beer spot on a tour of the best breweries in San Antonio. Many local breweries also offer their own guided tours, but be sure to call ahead, as most tours tend to be on schedule-basis only.
San Antonio is a growing spot for craft brews, wines, and liquors, and your one-stop spot for all types of drink is The Esquire Tavern. We’re proud to serve a variety of locally made brews in our restaurant, and our team can recommend the best brew to fit your meal of choice. Ask us about our favorite brews — you won’t be disappointed!